Thursday, January 27, 2011

Owls & Birds in Decor

"Hooties" & "Tweeties", as I like to call them, or owls & birds, are "perched" up everywhere you look these days.

Owls are one of my favorites, because I find them really cute for one, but also because of a more personal attachment to them, as the owl is one of the symbols of the sorority I was in during my college days.

Here's a montage of the owls & birds I have scattered around my house:


This trio is perched on top of a shelf in my room.  The orange & yellow ceramic owls are actually trivets that once belonged to my grandmother.  The middle brass owl is also a trivet, which I scored from a trip to Goodwill.


This ceramic bird is another inheritance from my grandmother, which I loved because I thought it had a retro vibe. I was told it was used to hold scouring cleanser, but instead of Comet, it was "Bab-O".  Now wouldn't that make cleaning such a cheery experience?  I just have it on display in my living room. No cleanser in there!


This is a bookend I found at Goodwill as well, but it was alone without a twin, so I just use it as a filler on a bookshelf in my living room.


This bird sits on a decorative shelf in my daughter's room (could you tell?) It is a ceramic jewelry or trinket box, & was handmade by my great-grandmother.  It was mine, but I handed it down to her, however right now, I have it up high so there is no chance she can break it!  (Those ballet slippers in the background were also mine).


This cute little ceramic container (or mug, but I don't know how you would drink out of it), came full of candy.  I think it is adorable, & the colors go well in my kitchen.  It usually just hangs out on my counter to make me happy.


These "hooties" were also found on a trip to Goodwill, & you can see them also in one of my previous posts here & here.  They've moved around my living room quite a bit, but right now they sit atop a mirrored tray I also found at Goodwill to use in my Christmas decor.  (You can see the reflection of the fleur-de-lis on the urn right behind it. Fleur-de-lis are also very popular around my house, for the same reason owls are).


Here's a vignette sitting by my fireplace.  Everything came from Goodwill except for the picture in the frame - the tray, birds (actually tealight holders, which have also moved around my living room a lot, see here), & the frame, which was covered with stuck on paper from an old picture.  After some Windex & lots of elbow grease, it looks good as new!)  The owl picture is actually from a card that my grandmother sent me.  I guess she likes owls also!


This is a necklace given to me by one of my friends.  Sorry, I couldn't get a good picture of it without holding it in my hand.  Isn't it adorable?  She remembered I liked owls also.  How thoughtful!


Finally, since it is getting close to Valentine's Day, I thought this was an appropriate shot to finish off this posting.  This is a plate I found at Target a few years back that I gave to my kids.  (We used to have 2 of them, but the other one mysteriously vanished).  Very cute, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment