Monday, August 1, 2011

DIY Bathroom Redo

This post is not about my bathroom, but about the "new" bathroom that my brother & sister-in-law up-cycled & created at their 90+ year old home.

I thought it was a pretty super-duper awesome job that they did all by their lonesome, so I wanted to showcase their handiwork today.

The before pics are pretty dated & scream 1970s (LOVE the paneling):


What's even better, is there appear to be multiple "orbs" floating throughout this picture.  I count at least 7.  Creepy, anyone?


View of the shower wall with the previous tiles chiseled off.  You can see the mold infestation, which they took care of through lots of drying out & cleaning.  Ewwwww (for anyone that remembers Ernest P. Worrell, I am picturing him saying that along with the jaw movement he used to do).  




And... they promised they were wearing masks!

Another lovely view of the shower wall after it was de-tiled, and yes, it appears more "orbs".  Call it "dust" if you like, but I don't know...



Here's my bro (wearing his protection, of course!), doing some plumbing work to remove the vanity.  What, no more shell-shaped sink?  You can also see the wood studs after they ripped off the ugly paneling.


Personally, I actually really like the look of the wood studs - very rustic, & I love the natural coloring of the different planks.  I would want to make them work if it was my bathroom, but I was informed since it is such an old house, the insulation would not be very good.

Whatever.

Here is a better view of the wood studs.  I understand now that this wall was the original outside wall of the house before the back addition where this bathroom is was added on in 1950.  Pretty cool, huh?


I do believe I see more "orbs"!  Maybe it is dust...

At the bottom left of this picture is a "secret hole" that was behind the medicine cabinet.  Apparently it was the  used razor blade disposal from back in the day.  I have been told there was a small "slit" in the back of the medicine cabinet that men would use to give their used razor blades the slip when they were finished using them.  And yes, my brother told me he found lots of rusty razors!  Again, ewwwwwwww!


All the paneling gone...


Talk about skinned to the bone!  Any more hidden secrets in those walls?  Besides used razor blades, that is.

My sister-in-law working on converting a found piece of furniture into their new vanity.  She's not afraid of power tools!


Ta-da!  All finished, complete with sink!  Which I love by the way.


An important further mold preventative - cement board.


White subway tile added:


Beautiful!

Finally, the finished vanity in place, along with the newly updated walls complete w/ new drywall & paint.  They even got a new mirror & wired for new sconces.


Here is another of the completed tub/shower:


So fresh and so clean, clean!

You can see the new cork floors they placed peeking through below.  They also had the toilet & tub refinished so they could be used again.  They look brand new, & not to mention, a very green move.


That brings us to the end of the tour.

 It appears that I have some very talented family members, & I may need to hit them up to help me DIY my bathroom in the future!  I am incredibly proud of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment