Sunday, July 17, 2011

A look back at my spring/Easter mantel (before I take it down...)

Okey-dokey, so spring & Easter are LONG over, but I have missed a few postings due to a lapse in internet connection - hey, it happens to the best of us!  (Actually, I started writing this post about a month ago, but just got around to finishing & actually posting it, so I really took down my Easter mantel before July!  :) )

Anywho, I wanted to post up my mantel I created specifically for spring & Easter - just to say I did it!

Here it is, in all it's glory - adorned with a DIY spring-y wreath:


Below, I'll post a little tutorial about the wreath, which was really simple.

A few close up pictures of the small "vignettes" on each side:


The "left side" is composed of a collection of apothecary-ish jars which I scored from Goodwill.  Click here to see some of my other great finds from my local Goodwill store.  The greenish flower pot holds a bird's nest w/ eggs that I also found from Goodwill.  The other green in the jars are faux "moss rocks" that came from the dollar store (Dollar General, I think). Standing in the background is a frame I found on the side of the road - and, I didn't have to do a thing to it!  I love the rustic finish it has.  (There were actually 2 of them, the "twin" is on the other side - see below).  The various candlesticks were given to me as wedding gifts, & the clock I already had also.   


The "right side" also holds another Goodwill apothecary jar that I scored.  It is filled with those flat glass marble-ish thingys that you fill vases with, & paper mache' eggs I found @ Michael's.  I have seen other posts highlighting how to decorate paper mache' eggs, but I really liked the natural look of them.  Adds great texture & interest.  On the very end are 2 really cute birdies (momma & baby) that I found @ Michael's also & couldn't pass up.  In the back you can see the other twin roadside frame, & also the mates to the other candlesticks.  Take a look back at how I used all of the apothecary jars at Christmas.  

Now for the wreath tutorial, I first took a plain grapevine wreath, & bought one "stalk" of faux green hydrangeas (all from Michael's).  I also picked up some ribbon, a hanging flower ball thing, & a cute sparkly butterfly.  

I pulled the hydrangeas off the plastic stalks to just use the flowers, & hot glued them onto the bottom right-hand side.  I tied the hanging flower ball from the top.  The butterfly was glued to the top left-hand side, which you can see in the finished wreath.  


I attached the finished wreath by hanging w/ green gingham ribbon to my Goodwill repurposed frame that was used during the holidays.  

Here's a close up of it finished (& the undecorated mantel):


Now, I just made a few quick changes for a summer display:


Ta-da!  All bright & summery with some Dollar General Gerber daisies I also had on hand (which I pulled off from the faux stalks).  The graduated candle holders were a Christmas gift, & I filled them w/ grapevine "balls" & topped w/ the flowers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment