Sunday, December 12, 2010

Before & After: Goodwill Re-purpose for Decking the Halls

I did a little more browsing at my local Goodwill Superstore, and I ran across this ugly little thing, but I figured it had great potential to showcase my new sparkly/icy wreath for above my mantel.  (I usually have a leopard-print mirror over the mantel, but it just did not cut it with the Christmas decor).  See it peeking out below:




Here is the ugly duckling ($4 investment @ Goodwill):



And after painting with a light, dry brushed coat of Dark Ecru (DecoArt Americana Satin Enamels):


I tried to give it that rustic/weathered look, but it is hard to tell in this picture.  On the inside rim of the frame, I painted a lighter shade- Light Buttermilk (Americana Gloss Enamel) to make the wreath "pop" a little more.

I glued together three different ribbons to attach the wreath: off-red & mossy green grosgrain, & cream lace to give it a little texture.  I would not suggest using regular craft glue, like I did, because the grosgrain does NOT want to stick well with that, but, you make due with what you have sometimes.  Here is the picture of my ribbon during the gluing process (and you can see my new wreath- courtesy of Walmart):

                    

Now, here is the finished project, in it's new home over my mantel (you can also see "Buddy" our "Elf on the Shelf" in his most recent resting place after returning from the North Pole):


Looks good, I think!  I have plans to use the frame after the holidays in another area of my house.  Here's a full-figure picture of the whole mantel-scape:


By the way, most of my mantel decor I scored on that visit to Goodwill also, but I'll go into more detail about that later.  The rest of the decorating, Christmas shopping, and wrapping is coming along!  What about you?

1 comment: